Are you self-conscious about the size or shape of your ears? Many people feel this way about their ears, going as far back as their elementary school years. This is why so many people choose to pursue ear reshaping surgery, also known as otoplasty.
What Is Otoplasty?
Otoplasty is the reshaping of the ear for hearing or cosmetic purposes. The ear is a prominent feature of a person’s head, immediately changing a person’s appearance and perception of themselves. Often performed with only local anesthesia, otoplasty is a relatively easy procedure with minimal discomfort and a short recovery period for the patient.
Some of the more common reasons people pursue ear contouring procedures include the following:
- Repair any external ear abnormalities, like protruding or drooping ears
- Reshapes the size and contour of the ear to fit aesthetic preferences
- Reconstruct the ear following injuries like cauliflower ear
(Patient Education Video)
The type of ear cosmetic procedure will vary widely based on the nature of a person’s deformity. Some of the most common deformities people seek to correct include the following:
- Lop-Ear Deformity: This type of deformity means that the superior part of the ear droops downward. This often results from the ear missing a piece of ear cartilage known as the antihelix.
- Cup-Ear Deformity: This type of deformity means that the cup of the ear close to the ear canal is more pronounced than usual. This results in excessive ear projection.
Dr. Troell provides cosmetic ear reshaping surgery to correct both of these types of deformities, among others. Other types of ear deformities Dr. Troell treats include earring tears, keloid formations and others.
The Ear Reshaping Procedure
Dr. Troell has developed a precise ear cosmetic procedure for his patients in California, including the following steps:
- Design: Before undergoing surgery, the surgeon and patient meet to discuss all the issues with the ear the patient is seeking to correct. The surgeon can, during this meeting, answer any questions the patient may have.
- Prepare: Right before the surgery, the surgeon or their assistant will draw the proposed incisions on the skin to guide the hand of the otoplasty surgeon.
- Anesthesia: Otoplasty can be performed comfortably using local anesthesia on adults, though many children tend to do better under general anesthesia, as this prevents movement.
- Surgery: The surgery is performed as discussed with the patient, using incisions and cartilage reconstruction procedures. Once finished, the skin is re-draped, and the incision closed.
- Recovery: After the surgery is completed, the patient has to maintain external pressure dressing for two or three days. After that, the ear will heal in its own time. Fortunately, ear reshaping surgery has a short recovery period.
Contact Dr. Troell’s Office for Your Free Consultation:
Dr. Troell knows what you need and want out of an ear contouring procedure. He’s undergone the procedure himself, so he can help answer your questions with first-hand knowledge. If you’re looking for an otoplasty surgeon in the Irvine, Huntington Beach, Laguna Beach or Newport Beach, CA area, look no further than Dr. Troell.
Get started on your ear cosmetic procedure today. Please feel free to call us at Beauty By Design in Irvine, CA (949) 220-0532.
You can also contact us online for your free private consultation or appointment.